Friday, January 25, 2008

From The Beginning

I am one week post-op and have decided to start at the beginning of my story.
On May 23, 2007, someone very dear to me was diagnosed with end stage renal failure. He suffers from focal segmental glomerusclerosis (fsgs) and had virtually no symptoms up to that point. Since diagnosis, we have found out that it actually took about 10 years for this disease to shut down his kidneys. Options for treatment when you reach end stage renal failure are a lifetime of dialysis or transplant.
This may sound crazy, but I just felt like I was supposed to donate. I am not the most religious of people, but do believe in some kind of higher power, so this feeling really had me thinking more about my faith. I told "G" I wanted to start testing as soon as possible. I really don't know what he thought about it and didn't ask. I am the type of person that just takes control of the situation and dives right in.
Many of you are probably thinking "is this woman crazy?" Why would you do this for someone who is not your own child or close family member? I don't think I'm crazy. Believe me, I was asked a lot of questions about this decision during the testing process just to make sure that I wasn't insane. I just "knew" I was supposed to do this.

No comments: