Friday, February 8, 2008

All is Well

It has been a busy couple of days. My first follow up was yesterday and Dr. Sankari told me everything looked great. I am healing well, vitals were great. My blood pressure was 113/54 which is normal for me.
My tenderness is almost gone and I actually was able to lie on my left side while sleeping last night. It felt weird at first but, after I was settled, it felt ok.
They also took blood and urine yesterday to test me for renal insuffiency. They will call me if there is a problem. My follow up appointments are scheduled at 3 months, 6 months and 1 year post-op. After the first year, I will go once a year for 2 years. This is all still covered by the recipient's insurance. The government requires the transplant centers to supply them with this information to make sure they aren't accepting organs from people who should not donate.
My recipient was also checked out yesterday. His creatinine level is still dropping (at 2.2 yesterday) and all of his other numbers are going up and down like they want. His meds are still being adjusted and they have some side effects but he says it is all worth it. This morning, he had his perma-cath removed and that made him extremely happy. It was installed in his jugular last may for dialysis until they could put in his fistula. He really hated it and is glad it is gone. He had the fistula done 2 times (first one collapsed). By the time the second one was mature enough to use, we had our transplant date and they decided to leave the perma-cath in to use as a main line during surgery.
I also want to ask for prayers for a friend from Living Donors Online (beandonor). Her brother experienced a rejection episode last week. He has pulled through but it was a trying time for them.
Also, we met a man yesterday at CAMC in Charleston who is receiving a kidney from his sister. Keep them both in your prayers as well. I didn't get his name but I did give him my email for his sister to contact me.
I am going back to Columbus on Sunday and will return to work the week of February 25.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are doing better. I had talked with your via the Living Donor message board and am keeping up with you on your blog. I remember the first night I could lay on my left side and the first time I could lay on my stomach. Happy Days !!! Sounds like you are doing all you are supposed to be doing. Keep drinking lots of water and walking. You'll be back to yourself in no time at all.

kjspringtx