Thursday, June 19, 2008

Feeling Fearful

As my 37th birthday quickly approaches, I am feeling a little frightened. It seems that so many friends close to my age are having serious health problems.
For instance, last year, Greg was diagnosed with end stage renal failure at the age of 41, my friend Fred had a serious heart attack at age 42, Amy, 35, had a scare with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and my friend Scott's wife died in her early 30's. In December, my Aunt Joyce died from cancer, she had lung cancer and a brain tumor. She was in her 60's, smoked all of her life and had been ill for sometime so this wasn't really unexpected.
I recently got news that Scott (mentioned in above paragraph) now has a brain tumor the size of a golf ball. He is 39. The tumor caused him to have a stroke and he was hospitalized for 5 days with little memory of that time. He was scheduled to have brain surgery on June 16 but his surgeon has decided to try a different procedure tomorrow morning. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
One other note, Amy and Scott are smokers. I have been begging them to stop. Are a few cigarettes really worth the horrible health problems they cause? Are they worth your life? So to them and any other smokers, PLEASE STOP SMOKING!!!

No comments: