Sunday, March 2, 2008

Back to Work Part 2

Well, I worked 2 shifts last week and made it through both of them without trouble. I didn't have pain and my legs and feet weren't even sore after not working for 7 weeks! I must admit I buy really good, supportive work shoes and I actually wore the anti-embolism socks from the hospital while at work. Those socks made my legs feel awesome while at work. Usually, they feel tired but I was amazed at the difference I felt wearing these. I am now a firm believer in support hose no matter how ugly they may be! No one sees my legs at work so if I want to wear ugly support hose, I will!
Greg (my recipient) goes back for a second follow-up with the transplant center this Thursday. I will keep everyone posted of his results. He is doing remarkably well at this time.
Nothing much to report about me. I am thankful that I haven't had any horrible issues to deal with. I still am dealing with the itching of my Love Scar but that is nothing major.
Best wishes to all you donors and recipients out there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
I am new to this blogging thing, so I hope you get this message... thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am in the R & D phase, and am hoping to be a compatible match for my cousin. I have just done some paperwork, and was told the testing, etc. will take about 6 months. So I have time to do my research, as you suggested. I am an active 34 year old mother of 2 girls (4 and 2), and am hoping to keep my courage up to be able to do this thing. Thank you for your pics and making it more real to me than just reading the medical descriptions/information that was sent to my. I am curious to see when you feel up to exercising (maybe jogging or lifting weights or tennis or something) - are you up for that yet or not quite???

Kelly said...

Hi,
I am 36 and while I think I am ready for exercise, the Surgeons advised me to wait at least 8 weeks before doing any kind of weight-bearing exercises. I was doing Pilates and running for about 30 minutes on an elliptical 3 or 4 days a week prior to surgery. I am listening and will wait 2 more weeks before I do anything more than walking. Even though I think I am fine, I don't want to do anything to give myself a hernia. I suggest staying active right up until the surgery. I really think that helps with the whole recovery process.
My testing started in September 2007 and we got the final go ahead on Dec. 26th. I was very healthy and that has played a big part in my recovery. Just research all you can, make sure you ask your transplant team any questions you might have and make sure you are comfortable with your transplant team. My team feels like family to me.
What center are you testing at? The link for Living Donors Online is listed here and is full of information and you may be able to find someone who has had the surgery at the center you will be at. That site was extremely helpful to me.
I wish you the best of luck with testing. Don't get frustrated if it feels like it is takin forever. They need to be sure that it is in the best interest of the donor and recipient to go ahead, so just be patient. If you need any questions answered, email me and I will tell you what I have experienced.
You are doing a wonderful thing and should be proud of yourself.